-->

7.04.2011

Brownie Swirl Cake



I know Father's Day was a while ago but I am a tad behind on my blogposts and I really wanted to share this recipe with you guys! Like Mother's Day, I had to work for Father's Day and so couldn't make my dad dinner. Instead I prepared a dessert for him ahead of the date. My dad has simple taste and likes heavy, chocolately desserts. He also loves cheesecake, which we often have on special occasions, and it replaces birthday cake practically every year. It's like what Dairy Queen ice cream cakes are to others. We're a cheesecake family. 


On various accounts he has mentioned during my baking adventures that if I made brownies, he would eat them. I decided to make my Pops a decadent brownie cake that combined many of the desserts he loves. Except one - rum balls. Sorry I didn't put those in your cake dad, I'll be sure to top this cake with them next time.

This is a brownie made with dark chocolate and cocoa powder and studded with walnuts. It is then swirled with cheesecakey goodness, topped with Toblerone chunks (what else?!) and drizzled with caramel. Are you drueling yet?


It was fun throwing all these delicious ingredients into one decadent cake. Oh yes, it is quite the cake. But what's nice about it is that it's not too rich - the brownie isn't overwhelming. I wish I could say I used whole wheat flour, or reduced the butter... but I can't. This is a scale-tipping, pant-splitting cake. Don't be surprised if you gain a couple pounds after reading this post. I have no idea how many calories are in this cake and I don't want to know. Sometimes, on special occasions we just have to indulge... and take a run on the treadmill afterwards.

Brownie Swirl Cake
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 squares baking dark chocolate
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 package cream cheese, at room temperature
two eggs
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
2 Toblerone pieces, coarsely chopped (or any other chocolate bar)
5 caramels

Preheat oven to 350F

Grease an 8 or 9 inch circle or square baking dish.

Melt the butter and dark chocolate squares in a sauce pan over medium heat.

Whisk in the sugars and bring to a boil. While continuing to whisk, allow it to boil for one minute and then remove the pan from the heat. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese until soft. Gradually add the confectioner's sugar until everything is well combined.

In large bowl add the melted butter and sugar mixture. Whisk in the two eggs. Stir in the cocoa powder and flour until well combined. Stir in the walnuts.

Spread the brownie batter into the greased pan. Top it with dollops of the cream cheese mixture. Use a knife to run through the batter making swirls and evening out the cake. Sprinkle with Toblerine or chocolate chunks.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean of the brownie batter. Allow to cool and then drizzle with melted caramels.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. Now there's a treat worth having. I'd love a slice or two :)

    ReplyDelete