-->

4.19.2011

Freedom never tasted so sweet


I know I KNOW, it's been a long time since my last post and I've been seriously slacking this month. I'm sorry guys, but I've had a lot on my plate! And not something delicious that I would gladly devour - it's exam season right now. You all just lost your appetite too didn't you. The end of the semester is always stressful, with finishing paintings and studio work, cramming for exams, packing up, all the while trying to fit in socializing with friends before splitting for the summer. And when you're doing all of this for the last time, it's a bit overwhelming. I may have consumed a very large sum of easter eggs this past week...

But today, I am happy to say I am finished. Yesterday I wrote my last exam of my undergraduate university degree. I left the lecture hall feeling so liberated, walking all the way home with a smile on my face that I couldn't shake. It's really quite strange and I don't think it has fully sunk in yet that I am graduating.

I am free, and oh it never felt so good.



Or tasted so sweet.

I love peanut brittle, but I don't eat it very often or have ever tried making it. I made a batch the other day to keep my friends and I awake during a late night studio party when we powered through 6 hours of painting.

I found the recipe here: Brown Eyed Baker

It is actually so easy to make. And fast. And for such a simple recipe it has a very yummy result. I actually used mixed nuts because it's all I had in the cupboard.

Mmm mixed-nut brittle where have you been all my life?



Peanut (or mixed-nut) Brittle

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups of nuts

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes - or until deep golden brown.

Remove it from heat and quickly add the butter, baking soda and nuts. Continue stirring it until it is no longer bubbling (about 1 minute) and then pour it out onto the parchment paper.

Spread the mixture out using a spatula. Do this quickly because it will cool fast and become difficult to spread out. Let it cool before breaking it up into pieces.

2 comments:

  1. so delicious! classic treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FREEDOM: SO SWEET. Congrats jen! I look forward to tasting the sweet joys of your freedom :)

    ReplyDelete