-->

12.07.2011

Marbled Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins


Finally a recipe post woohoo!

Today I am very excited to present my first guest post. And it is brought to you by none other than two of my favourite ladies: Anna and Megan, my housemates from university. I don’t like how negative ex-housemates sounds, so I will refuse to say it. Besides I prefer to think of them as my housemates even though we moved out in April after our 3 years together. If you’ve read this blog before then you know I tend to talk about them a lot… we are all a bunch of food enthusiasts. And as you may have noticed, Anna is quite a frequent visitor, commenting on almost every post :)


So Anna and Megan had a little baking extravaganza in Toronto a little while ago and they have requested I post their delicious recipe: Marbled Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins

MMM don’t they sound amazing? They look it too! If only I wasn’t in France right now, I would have loved to sneak a muffin… or 5. Too bad that darn ocean got in the way.

 
Their variety of ingredients leads to very moist and flavourful muffins, and they’re also dairy-free!

You should probably make these muffins. I know I certainly will. Especially because banana muffins/bread is apparently a North American thing… the French don’t seem to bake this wonder. It’s time to enlighten them I think!


Thank you Anna and Megan for this fantastic recipe!

 Marbled Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins

 
Ingredients:

1 cup mashed very ripe banana
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup almond milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons boiling water, divided

Prepare boiling water, no need to measure yet. Also, preheat oven to 350 F.
Mash the banana in a large mixing bowl until relatively smooth. It should take 3 average sized ones, but spoon the mashed ‘nanas into a measuring cup to make sure, then return to the mixing bowl. Beat in the sugar, canola oil, milk and vanilla.
Now add the flour, baking soda and salt and gently mix just to incorporate. It’s okay if there is some flour still visible, just be careful not to overmix at this point.
Scoop one cup of the batter up and transfer it to a separate mixing bowl. Now, in a small tea cup mix the cocoa powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water and stir vigorously with a fork until the chocolate is dissolved. Add this chocolate mixture to the one cup of banana and mix until the chocolate is thoroughly smooth and incorporated.
Now back to the original plain banana batter; add 3 tablespoons of boiling water and mix the batter just until relatively smooth.
  
Here comes the fun part, it’s time to marble! Lightly grease an 8×4 loaf pan. Scoop alternate 1/2 cupfuls of chocolate/banana batter into the loaf pan. Nothing has to be precise here, in fact, the more random, the better. Once all of the batter is in, take a butter knife and swirl it through the batter in circular directions for about 10 seconds.
Bake for 55 minutes. Use a butter knife to test for doneness. Let cool and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. EEEK! ! ! !YAYY!!! ! ! ! JENNNN!!!
    I knew you would pull through :) I'm sorry I never got around to writing a blurb! (Felt wrong to do so w/out Megan), and also you are a much better writer than I am! Nevertheless, I am so happy you posted this!! Wish I could send you some too, but try it out and you'll see how chocolatey good they were. I have some bananas kickin' in the freezer right now too.. though I may try some coconut/blueberry mash-up.. but may end up adding chocolate... haha we'll see how overloaded they get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I will definitely be making them... possibly this weekend. A coconut/blueberry mashup sounds amazing! But if you do end up adding chocolate to them, I would go with white I think... but yeah it might be better without. Well let me know how they turn out! Maybe we'll have a second guest post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Thanks Jen! Muffin Madness! I brought with me on my visit to Kingston with the intention of giving them to my hosts ..but they were so tempting they didn't make it there, whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't go wrong with chocolate and banana together. These look great!

    ReplyDelete